Current Vacancy for Research Professor of Evolutionary Genomics
Research Professor of Evolutionary Genomics
Duties and responsibilities
Research, development and creative activities, at least 75% of working time
1. High-level RDC activities, incl. leading and directing RDC activities in the fields of evolutionary genomics and population genetics, including in frame of following scientific projects of University of Tartu: PRG243 "Natural selection and migrations in shaping human genetic diversity in East European Plain. An ancient DNA study.”, ASTRA “Ultrasensitive Biomolecule Laboratory and Modern Population Genetics”, Centre of Excellence for Genomics and Translational Medicine” (research group TK142U07 “Human evolutionary genetics”) according to the action plan and objectives of the projects (publication of the results of research, popularization of research and other RDC activities). Leading and directing RDC activities, taking care that necessary resources are available for it and taking responsibility for the performance of RDC activities. 2. Leading the workgroup of evolutionary genomics and modern population genetics in the Institute of Genomics.
3. Applying for funding and executing ongoing projects according to the development plan of the Institute of genomics, of the University of Tartu.
4. Internationally recognized research in five years at least in the volume equivalent to that of three doctoral theses.
5. Supervision of academic staff members involved in RDC activities.
6. Participation in the research-organizational activities of international dimension.
7. Participation in the development of specialist terminology or in the organisation thereof.
8. Development of skills necessary for RDC activities, and professional development.
Teaching and activities related to the administration and development of teaching, at least 5% of working time
1. Teaching of primarily master’s and doctoral students, using modern teaching methods and educational technology, and supervision of students, incl. doctoral students. Doctoral dissertations have been defended under the supervision of the research professor in five years.
2. Ensuring the availability of future academic staff in the field.
3. Professional development to enhance teaching and supervising skills.
Participation in university governance and institutional development, at least 5% of working time.
Social and public activities, at least 5% of working time.
See also job description.
PhD degree, postdoctoral training See also requirements for teaching and research staff.
Research, development and creative activities
1. Internationally established scientist with excellent list of publications in evolutionary genomics and population genetics, proven record of international and national research network.
2. Ability to direct RDC activities in the fields of evolutionary genomics and population genetics, lead a research group and supervise teaching and research staff members.
3. Internationally recognised professional research, the volume of which so far is equivalent to that of at least five doctoral theses.
4. Ongoing active engagement in research: internationally recognized research in the last five years at least in the volume equivalent to that of 1.5 doctoral thesis.
5. Active participation and leading role in international scientific consortia.
Teaching and activities related to the administration and development of teaching
1. Ability to organise teaching and teach at all levels of higher education.
2. Effective supervising of master’s and doctoral students, incl. at least one supervised doctoral dissertation defended.
Participation in university governance and institutional development
1. Experience in team or project management.
Social and public activities
1. Participation in activities related to the promotion and implementation of the specialisation at the national or International level.
Required language skills
Excellent command of English for professional communication and research.
Starting at 01.03.2020
Salary 2200 Euro per month (gross) See also UT salary rules.
Additional info Tõnu Esko, Vice Director, Senior Research Fellow of Institute of Genomics, tonu.esko [ät] ut.ee